Artist chosen: The Sisters Hayes
1. What did you (or do you) want to be when you grow up?
An actor, singer, performer, writer, professional sequin-wearer; & general exhibitionist. When I was in primary school I wanted to be a cat, and I went through a period of idolising Miss Hannigan from the musical ‘Annie’ before later I realised she is essentially a child-abusing alcoholic.
2. How many siblings do you have and what is your birth order (oldest, middle child, youngest, only child)?
I have a half-brother, but have pretty much grown up as an only child.
3. Are you doing what you love with your life? Why or Why not?
I am doing what I love, because I believe you are more likely to regret the things you didn’t do more than the things you did do.
4. What is your favourite hobby or past time? Is this something you prefer to do alone or with others and why?
I like to jog, alone; but I haven’t been doing it recently. I also like to dance as much as possible, with friends I can show off to.
5. What is the most embarrassing song on your iPod that you do not want to delete?
Any voice memo of myself singing, which I inadvertently passed onto a friend once when I charged my phone on her laptop and it synched the two.
6. Describe an important place to you. Include things like what season or time of day it is. Also let us know of any important smells or colours you associate with that place.
There is a place I visit recurringly in my dreams. It is reminiscent of locations I visited in South East Asia, but also similar to the Australian bush. It is a secret spot with a beautiful lake and waterfalls. It smells kind of like pine and is lush and green. When I am there I feel moved and awestruck. Of course, it doesn’t exist in reality and the more I try to describe it in words the less clear the image becomes.
7. What three things do you ‘feel you need’ to carry with you (other than your phone, wallet or keys)?
Perfume, iron tablets & moisturiser.
8. What fictional character do you most identify with and why?
As a teenager I became obsessed with the graphic novel and movie of Ghost World because Enid tapped into my teen angst perfectly, and I am strangely attracted to Steve Buscemi. As a young adult I could identify with the protagonist of Lost In Translation due to feeling lonely, lost and unsure of myself; and being strangely attracted to Bill Murray. Now I am strangely attracted to Justin Bieber and indentify with Larry David and I don’t know what the fuck went wrong.
9. What book OR movie do you enjoy reading/watching over and over again?
Slaughterhouse Five by Kurt Vonnegut, but that seems really clichéd so I’ll also say I’ve thoroughly enjoyed the picture book ‘Goodnight Moon’ by Margaret Wise Brown countless times.
10. Describe something you wear that makes you feel confident, happy or powerful.
I have an amazing sequin silk dress with beaded mushrooms all over it that I got from Greensborough Saver’s for a nominal sum. It makes me feel confident, happy and powerful enough to evoke the spirit of disco on the dancefloor.